New Dragon’s Eyes

I sold a dragon eye at River Fire recently, and realized I only had a couple left. So over the last week or so, I made another batch of them.

I think these are the best ones yet. šŸ™‚ And they look even better in person.

I’m using a UV resin from Lisa Pavelka* (Thanks Michelle for introducing me to it!) that you don’t have to mix, and it’s really clear. It’s a little more expensive, but much easier and nicer to use.

I also used to put a beading hole through the eye like a bead. This time, I embedded a wire loop at the top. The eyes are now flatter, lighter and easier to display, and I can let everyone pick their own chain or cord instead of making them all the same.

Here’s my table with all my mica powders laid out. This is the most time consuming part of the process, but also the most fun.

I use my fingers, needles, and tiny little micro brushes to apply the powders and scratches and each dragon’s eye ends up very different.

Oh and if anyone wants to check out the resin, or the UV light that I got to set it, the following images are Amazon affiliate links directly to the ones I got. You can wait for a sunny day, but the lamps are simpler and more consistent. (There are various options so look around for the one that best fits your needs)

Posted by Skygrazer

Polymer clay addict and artist. Also fascinated by kaleidoscopes.

Leave a Reply